Sunday, June 11, 2017

San Fransisco with my Mom


My work sent me to San Fransisco in April for a conference. Travis couldn't come with me, so I figured i'll invite my mom since it is probably her favorite city of all time (definitely not mine, but hey! to each their own :)). During the two days I was attending my conference, my mom went out and explored the city on her own. That is something i've always admired about my mom; she is always willing to just go and do her own thing independently and never relies on anyone. We stayed a couple of days past my conference and hung out in the city together. I unfortunately had been dealing with Noah in the hospital a few days prior and somehow came down with this AWFUL cold. I mean, my head was pounding constantly, I couldn't breath, coughing constantly. By far one of the worst colds i've ever gotten. I laid in bed one full day and my mom explored on her own again. On Saturday, my mom really wanted to bike from Fisherman's Wharf, across the Golden Gate Bridge, over to Saulsilito, and then take a ferry back to Fisherman's Wharf. If you have been to San Fransisco, you know that this is one daunting task -- like 8 miles. Normally, I would be so game, but I again was feeling so terrible. I didn't want to ruin her trip, so I just did it. It ended up being the day from hell (HA!). I was probably a mile behind her the whole time, which was fine, but when we crossed the golden gate bridge, we decided to hike up (probably 1 mile hike), up to this lookout spot (pictured above), and by the time we hiked back down, my mom realized she had lost her phone. So we are frantic because we leave that evening and it had her ID and everything in it. I hiked back up the hill (mind you, we've already biked probably 6 miles, and now i've hiked 2 and about to do another 2 round trip. I was dying. Her phone was no where to be found. We biked to Sausilito and went to the police station to file a report to see if anyone had turned it in. They hadn't. We spend an hour calling the airlines and asking how we can get my mom home without an ID. To make a long story short, we spent the afternoon frantic and not able to enjoy the bike ride or anything. The worst part was that is really was breathtaking and I wish I could have enjoyed it more, but it was a bit tainted by the whole phone thing. I felt so bad for my mom, she was so stressed. We got her to the airport and she was basically interrogated with questions by airport security and they let her board without an ID. THANK GOODNESS. While we were sitting in the airport, she used her Ipad (which we didn't have at the time and my phone didn't have the ability to look up her phone location because she doesn't have an iphone), but she saw that her phone was sitting on a dirt trail not far from where we were. So someone took her phone, probably took the money inside, and then ditched it somewhere. Well once we got home, my mom looked again and it had been picked up by someone and the phone was in Sacramento. My mom called the police, the police show up and the persons home and get my moms phone. Apparently hikers found the phone on the trail and were "planning" on returning it. Ha! anyway, my mom got her phone back, but our day was less than enjoyable. I still had a great time with my mom and we have a funny story to tell now. My work is sending me to another conference in October to D.C. and my best friend is coming with me. I told her that we may end up not doing anything, or she may lose a phone. People have bad luck when they travel with me! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment