Sunday, June 11, 2017

Noah 10-11 Month Update



We've had a lot going on the past few months, so i'm going to try and catch up on all of the pictures and updates that i'm long overdue on. I'm making sure I print out my blog pages this year, and I want to make sure I documented everything -- especially Noah's first year. Here is his 10-11 month update. A big reason to why I make sure to blog each month for him is because it's still fresh what he is learning and doing thats now; because i've waited for so long, I'm forgetting what he was doing that was new just a couple of months ago. I'll try..

Noah gave us quite the scare in April. For a while, we had thought that he had swallowed something because he just wasn't breathing right. I had  taken him to the doctor a couple of times because I had felt so uneasy about how he sounded and I was made to feel like I overreacted a few times when Noah got sick a month or so earlier and was told he was just fine, so I went home thinking I was crazy and nothing was wrong with him despite his wheezing. I couldn't stand it anymore a few days later when he was getting worse, so I prayed like mad that I would no what to do and finally felt the urge to take him in again. We went to the pediatrician at 3:15pm and was there until 5:30pm. Dr. Peterson (our Dr. was not in, so we saw another) thought he initially had a mild form of croup and was going to give him a steroid to help relive the swelling in his throat (sort of a relief, because our Doc didn't even investigate after saying "he maybe has a cold"). After a few minutes, he came back in and said he felt uneasy about his cough because usually croup is an issue when they inhale, not exhale. He observed him breathing for a while and then sent us down to get X-rays. After getting a couple of chest X-rays (you can see in bottom pics above), it showed that the left lung was darker (receiving more air flow) and his diaphragm was lower than usual resembling some swelling. Because of Noah's history having swallowed a foam ball on March 7th and the abnormal chest X-rays, Dr. Peterson wanted me to go up to Primary Children's. Arrived at Primary Childrens around 6:15pm and was admitted into triage room #9. Noah hadn't eaten since 3:30pm, so I was worried how hungry he would be. He did so well. They wanted more X-rays at the hospital, and they came back abnormal as well. After waiting for a few hours, trauma nurses came to let us know they wanted to perform a Rigid Bronchoscopy. This consists of putting him under anesthesia and putting a metal scope down his throat to view his airways to see if there is anything they need to retrieve. After signing consents and meeting the anesthesiologist and general surgeon (Dr. Rollins, same surgeon that performed his hernia surgery when Noah was 2 months old), he was handed off to the OR. We waited for what felt like only 20 minutes and Dr. Rollins came to tell us that they couldn't see anything and that he would need to be in recovery for a while before we could go see him. When we were finally able to go back he was SCREAMING because he was hungry and with strangers. They wanted to keep him overnight to monitor breathing. It's a good thing he stayed because he was on oxygen through the night and needed monitoring most of the next day. After being in the hospital for HOURS, the Doctors came into to tell us that after testing his blood, he has the human metapneumovirus. This is a newer virus that has been discovered within the last 10 years, it can take two forms in the human body -- pneumonia or bronchitis. He had bronchitis, which unfortunately, is viral. Since it isn't viral, he wouldn't be able to take antibiotics and we would just have to weather the storm until he got better. We had a team of 4 doctors working on Noah. They kept telling us how scared he made them because he wasn't breathing well and kept needing to be on oxygen. It was a scary couple of days for us and even scarier coming home. I probably didn't sleep for 3 days. I was getting up every hour or so and going to his crib and putting my hand on his little body to make sure he was still breathing. His terrible sounding coughs, and breathing lasted for a couple of weeks, but he got over it and is back to being a healthy, happy little boy. 

Quick side note though, I HAVE to share the funniest story that happened to us in the hospital (happy to have had a smile and laugh -- really needed it!):

When the 4 doctors came in and were telling us the diagnosis, etc.. I had asked if going to Europe was going to be and issue with his illness and if we need to stay domestic for a while, idk.. just wanted to make sure. I was willing to lose all of the money we invested in the trip, because I was so worried if he needed to be home and close to a hospital?? I didn't know, anyway! They didn't see that it would be an issue at all. One of the doctors said he would be in Germany same time as us and asked where Travis' grandpa grew up and we all look at travis and he goes, "ummmm... Auschwitz" and I wanted to DIE. I was like, "no babe, that was a concentration camp and it was in Poland, not Germany." And he laughed and said, "IDK..I haven't gotten much sleep" seriously, insert biggest face palm emoji you can imagine. The doctors didn't know if he was joking, but we all kind of chuckled. I couldn't stop laughing for DAYS about it. If you need me, I'll just be dying laughing for the rest of my life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment