Wednesday, June 1, 2016

pre-term labor at 35 weeks


i've had quite a scary past couple of days (and still going) and thought while I have a moment, i'll document it all so I don't forget. Oh, the love I have for blogging and documenting my life -- I just always want to remember!

On Monday night I started having really bad contractions all through the night. Not enough for me to scream and think I need to go to the hospital, but bad enough that they kept me awake all night long. I told myself that if they were persistent through the morning, then i'd call the doctor to see what was going on. I got to work at 7:00am and by 10:00am I was still contracting every 30 minutes. Feeling completely sheepish, I called my doctor and asked what I should do. He told me to head into labor and delivery and they will hook me up to test my contractions. Travis had a busy day at work and was unable to meet me at the hospital and I told him not to worry, because I was sure they were just going to tell me I was being a worry wart first-time-mom and to go home and rest. I was wrong. I was dilated to a 2 and 80% effaced. It wasn't the dilation of 2 that was the issue (can be normal for someone at 35 weeks), but the 80% effaced that gave the nurses a scare. I was there for 6 hours (ugh! so long!). They gave me steroid shots in my bum (ouch!) to help develop the babies lungs quicker in case he were to deliver. At one point my contractions were every 5 minutes, but after 4 rounds of pills to try and stop my contractions, they were able to get them to every 30 minutes again and finally released me to go home. I have been put on medication to regulate the contractions, but am still getting them every 30 minutes and sometimes the little buggers are so painful! I had to go in today for another round of steroid shots and my doctor said it would be a milestone if I were to get to Friday without delivering this baby. I'm hoping with all of my heart that I continue to keep the baby inside of me. I know that i'm far enough along and he would be okay, but it still scares me that he would immediately have to go to the NICU and not home withe us. Anyway. I've been placed on strict bed rest until the baby comes, so a lot of working from home and really really boring sessions of making art out of the popcorn ceiling above me. Wish me luck.

Also, I refuse to miss my baby shower this weekend that my sisters have worked so hard for. I'm literally having Travis carry me to the car, carry me into my moms, and putting me on a chair. HA!

anyway, crazy last few days and it is still a little scary for us.. but I know it'll all be taken care of no matter what. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I am excited either way. I'm already so smitten with him and I haven't even met him.

oh, thanks to my mom who snapped this when she was behind me plugging back in my cords after going to the bathroom. She loves to document everything and anything -- I wonder who I get it from :)

No comments:

Post a Comment