Saturday, June 18, 2016

because baby showers the night before you deliver is a good distraction






As you know from my last post, I went into preterm labor at 34 weeks (2 days away from being 35 weeks, so I kind of just round up.. however, hospitals do NOT round up :)). All I wanted to do was to make it to the shower my sisters had been planning for me for months! I went into labor on Tuesday and prayed that I would make it to Saturday for the shower. On Tuesday I was put on strict bed rest and did whatever I could to keep that baby in until the weekend. On Saturday morning my contractions were getting worse -- 3 to 5 minutes apart for 1 minute at a time. My mother and sister-in-law were timing the contractions and told me to go to the hospital. I refused. I made it to the shower and put a smile on my face although I was in so much pain. I somehow managed to curl and braid my hair, put on a dress, and put on minimal makeup before the party. It was wonderful to see all of my friends and celebrate the soon-to-be arrival of our little Noah. 

My sisters threw the most incredible shower i've ever been to and it made me feel so special that they wanted to do this for me. They had been planning for months and spent so much time and money in putting it all together and I seriously couldn't be happier of how it turned out. I was so excited to see all of my friends too and felt so spoiled at all of the amazing gifts they gave me for my little boy. Towards the end of the shower I told my friends I would be right back because I had to go to the bathroom -- I walked inside and just broke down in tears. I couldn't bare the pain any longer and decided to call Travis and told him it was time. Thank goodness I planned ahead and packed my hospital bag after the event on Tuesday, so I was happy to know there wasn't much I needed to grab from home. However, we left my moms and drove straight to the hospital, not stopping at home beforehand. The contractions were getting so bad in the car that all I could was dig my nails into Travis' hand.. and the tears! I just couldn't stop crying. I'm serious when I say that my experience of having a five day labor (because I didn't stop contracting since Tuesday, it just increased on Saturday), was horrible. Worst paid i've ever experienced. So, we get to the hospital and I waltz in with this red dress, curled hair, full makeup, and say to the labor and delivery nurse "um, I think i'm in labor.." you should have seen the look she gave me, like I got all dressed up to come to the hospital. I know she thought that because she took her time getting me a triage room (30 minutes!), and by the time I got in there I was trying not to scream at my contractions. To make a long story short, I progressed from a 4 to a 6 in a couple of hours and they decided to keep me to deliver Noah (more on this on my next post). 

It was an eventful night to say the least, but I am so happy I got to attend the shower my sisters put together. It was so beautiful and i'm so grateful for my sisters and friends love and friendship.


No comments:

Post a Comment