Sunday, January 11, 2015

Aebleskivers

When Travis and I got married, we received an aebleskiver pan from a Danish couple in my moms neighborhood. It has been collecting dust in my cupboards for over three years now and I decided I wanted to give it a go. I found an awesome recipe on Pinterest that I will share below. There are a lot of recipes out there, but I wanted to make the originals that taste like pancake balls. These are really popular amongst Danish families, and I dare say that I will make them a tradition in our family too. We already have plans to make these our general conference/Christmas morning feast. I only want to make them a couple times a year, so that they are exciting for the family on the times that I make them. The recipe makes 40 of these balls and between four of us, we ate them all. They are so good you guys. You can purchase one of these awesome pans on Amazon. They are so worth your while, they are so fun to make and delicious at that. Spread them with your favorite jams, nutella, powdered sugar, fruit, etc.. the possibilities are endless.

You're welcome.


Aebleskivers 
(pronounced: able-ski-wa)

2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons melted butter

Heat the aebleskiver pan on the stove top over medium heat. Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside. Whisk together remaining ingredients, then gently fold in egg whites. Add a small amount of oil to the bottom of each cavity of the pan (enough to make a spot of oil about the size of a penny in the bottom) then add 1 tablespoons of batter to each cavity. When they start to get bubbly around the edges, use a fork to rotate them in the pan (I also used a spoon to help flip them over). This part can be tricky and a little frustrating, but keep at it. Continue to rotate the aebleskivers until they are cooked all the way around and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the pan and serve hot.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love those things! My mom has a pan and they are divine! Mmm

    ReplyDelete