Monday, August 11, 2014

mushrooms mushrooms mushrooms!






Ladies.

I introduce to you my all time favorite; homemade mushroom soup. I could drink this cold or hot, because I love it that much. I haven't done a recipe in a while and I really wanted to share this one I made the other night. Plus, what better thing to do while your husband is glued to the TV watching Shark Week?? eh? 

I beg you to make this. Your taste buds, stomach and husband will love you. I'm giving a family secret receipe. Write it down, you'll thank me later :)

Serves 2:

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh mushrooms - cleaned and chopped finely
1 TBSP olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic - chopped. (I used two teaspoons of minced garlic and it tasted great.)
2 bay leaves
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup chicken or vegetable sauce (I personally think it tastes better with chicken stock)
1 TBSP flour dissolved in 1 TBSP water
salt to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
Dash of nutmeg, ground pepper and fresh parsley

1. Heat olive oil in sauce pan. Add butter and lightly saute garlic on medium heat
2. Add in mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the moisture from the mushrooms disappears.
3. Add in chicken broth. Stir occasionally until broth boils, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add diluted flour in, and stir constantly (while simmering) until the mixture thickens. Season with salt and nutmeg. Taste and adjust seasoning. 
5. Finally, add milk and heavy cream, and bring to a simmer. Turn heat off.
6. Serve hot in your soup bowl. Add freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley or thyme if you have them on hand. 

You're done!

I know, I know. Its summer!! but lets be honest, October is practically around the corner and I can't wait! it is my most favorite month. I have a lot to look forward this year, since my baby brother gets home from his mission then. I love fall season. Chunky sweaters, top knots, big boots, warm soups, cuddling up next to fires and lets just talk about all of those trees that change colors. Oh! my heart. Please be still. I'm just too excited. Let me know if you try it! :)

Happy pre-soup season!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, but sadly mushrooms make me want to vomit. Brandon would love this! Maybe someday I will be a good wife and cook him mushroom soup and maybe some fish (not together though, that sounds disastrous). On another note, can we please have a soup cooking party. I LOVE SOUPS. Currently cooking some now. MMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Mushrooms are one of my favorite things, and I love making soups in the fall. Will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete