Thursday, June 27, 2013

Honey Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough





Yesterday I made homemade pizza (as well as those delicious pumpkin bars on the entry from yesterday). I know what you are thinking.. seriously? how do you have that much time on your hands? ( I won't be posting for a while, school's getting crazy and figured I should get my fix in!) well.. I studied for 8 straight hours yesterday at the library and for some reason all I wanted to do was make a delicious homemade meal and dessert when I was done. My favorite all time pizza is margarita pizza. My mother-in-law has an incredible garden along with a herb garden we picked all of the ingredients for. She even made homemade pizza sauce. This was delicious. I mean, if there was ONE thing in this world that I could eat over and over and over guilt and calorie-free.. it'd definitely be pizza. I love it too much. Anyway, the crust was amazing. If you ever want to make your own, here is the recipe! It's really good and I think you'll love it too!

4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup (4tbsp) safflower oil (you can use canola oil)
2 pkgs dry yeast 
2 tsp honey
1 1/2 cups warm water

Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm (not hot) water and add 2 tsp. of honey. Set aside for at least 5 minutes. Meanwhile, sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a depression in the center of the flour and add 3 tbsp. of the oil and the other cup of warm water. Put flour on a kneading board. Add the yeast mixture to the flour and mix the inredients with your hands. Gather the dough together and place it on the floured board. Knead the dough, adding more flour if necessary. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes. The dough should be elastic and cohesive.

Place the dough in a clean bowl that has been rubbed with oil. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining oil. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and put it in a warm, draft-free place for 1 1/2 hours. 

Instead of kneading, I just put it all in a Bosch universal mixer and it worked perfectly.

2 comments:

  1. This was delicious and tasted so healthy too. Thanks for giving me some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to make some for your momma. Love those 70s looking measuring cups! I am proud of your cooking abilities..

    ReplyDelete